Lost Driving Licence: Getting your Licence Back from Court or VicRoads

If you have been caught drink driving in Victoria, you will likely have had your licence cancelled by a court for at least 6 months.

There are a number of steps you will need to complete in order to get your licence back. The ultimate goal is to get a “Licence Eligibility Order” from the Magistrates Court which you can then take to Vic Roads to get your licence back.

The most important thing to remember is that if you are caught driving during your period of suspension, you can be charged with the criminal offence of Driving Whilst Suspended. This can carry significant fines and, in some cases, even jail time. In addition, you will likely be sentenced to further time off the road. So this will adversely impact your ability to get back on the road in the fastest time possible.

So finish your period of cancellation and start making preparations 1-2 months ahead to get your licence back as soon as you are eligible to do so.

If you lost your licence at Court, you will need something called a Licence Eligibility Order granted by the Court before VicRoads will give your licence back. If your offence was committed after 1 October 2014, it was your first offence and your BAC was below 0.10, you do not need to get a Licence Eligibility Order.